With your support we can help every Armed Forces child reach their full potential and THRIVE
What is Armed Forces Day?
Armed Forces Day is quickly approaching! It’s a great way to show your support for those in the Armed Forces community from currently serving personnel, veterans, cadets and their families. The celebrations will begin on 24th June through to Armed Forces Day itself on Saturday the 29th of June.
Why support RCET on Armed Forces Day?
RCET is the only charity in Scotland dedicated to supporting Armed Forces children and their families. Armed Forces children are often an overlooked group, who as a result of their transitory lifestyle often fall through the gaps and don’t get the support that they need or deserve.
Every year RCET supports hundreds of Armed Forces families through ensuring that children and young people from Armed Forces families in Scotland are supported to reach their full potential.
This year we know that more children will come to us needing our support:
- Last year the number of families that we supported in poverty more than doubled. As a result we had to launch a Crisis Intervention service to support veteran families struggling to provide their children with warm clothes, shoes and beds amongst other items.
- The same young people also feel that their civilian teachers or those in the wider community simply don’t understand their needs and that their lifestyle, for example a parent deploying and being away from home for a long time, can mean that they struggle to concentrate and do well at school.
“My confidence is down because I’m the ‘new kid’ all the time and everyone is staring at me. I’ve got to the point where I just stop trying to make friends. People have been friends for years here, and I feel intrusive and need. Any ‘civi’ friends I do make don’t understand what it is like to have a parent in the Armed Forces. It’s hard finding someone new to trust and I get depressed.” Armed Forces young person
At RCET we work directly with children and their families to ensure that they can break down these barriers, unlock their full potential and THRIVE. In order to continue to deliver this support to as many Armed Forces young people as possible, we need your support.
How can you support our work?
You can support RCET on Armed Forces Day any way that you want to (providing it’s safe and legal!) whether it’s a bake sale at work to organising a gala dinner or doing a skydive. The choice really is yours!
Want to support us but don’t know how? Here are a few suggestions!
- Take part in RCET’s #SuperheroDay – Come to school or work dressed a superhero. This can be Batman or Superwoman or a hero in your local community like a serving soldier, a nurse or a paramedic! Dress up as your favourite hero and make a donation of £2 to show support for the Armed Forces community.
- Sign up to one of our events – Pledge your support to Armed Forces families by signing up for one of our FREE places on dozens of events such as Rough Runner or Edinburgh Kiltwalk here on our website: https://forceschildrenscotland.org.uk/events/
- Schools Out for Summer! – Armed Forces Day celebrations coincide with the last week of term in Scotland. Why not host your own old school sports day or vintage day with games like Guess the Baby Photo and the egg and spoon race.
For more information and advice on how to show your support for Armed Forces Day email or contact our fundraising team on: email@example.com or 0131 322 7350 .
With your support we can show Armed Forces young people that their voices matter, giving them the skills, tools and confidence to reach their full potential at school, and in life.